I came up with this recipe for a magazine feature on making quick, impressive desserts. This one couldn’t be simpler. You don’t have to include the food coloring, but I love the gentle girly pink that results. Best of all, it tastes and looks like it took so much more effort to make.
75g eating prunes (the soft ones)
75g roasted pistachio nuts in their shells
500ml good quality vanilla ice cream
2tsp rose water flavouring (I use Queen brand)
1/4tsp pink coloring or a few drops of red food coloring
100g pink Turkish delight, chopped (optional)
- Chop each prune into six pieces. Shell and roughly chop the pistachios.
- Leave the ice cream out of the freezer for 10 minutes to soften.
- Working quickly, decant ice cream into a large mixing bowl.
- Add everything except the Turkish Delight, prodding and stirring to combine as quickly as you can.
- Taste and add more rosewater* if it needs it.
- Spoon ice cream into a rectangular container, cover and freeze for at least two hours or until required.
- Serve garnished with the Turkish Delight, if liked.
* Every brand of rosewater is different in strength.
Lazy Fare is available online at www.juicecreativ.com/lazy-fare